Timothy Folliard
Sports Writer

Photo Credit: Chicago Sun Times

Chicago, IL – The Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers kicked off the NFL’s 100th annual season with the Packers winning the low-scoring battle 10-3.

The 199th matchup between the two teams showcased strong defenses and weak offenses. The Bears and Packers offense only had 93 rushing yards combined. The game featured seventeen punts and ten sacks.

The first quarter, Aaron Rodgers led the Packers to -12 yards of total offense. This was highlighted by two 3rd down sacks by the Bears defense. Setup with good field position, the Bears managed a short 16-yard drive and settle for a 38-yard field goal by Eddy Pineiro.

The kick brought a sigh of relief to Bears fans. Last January, the Bears season ended with a missed field goal which ricocheted off the left upright. The Bears cut the kicker that missed the field goal and the 23-year-old Pineiro won a training camp battle to become the Bears kicker.

To start the second quarter, Rodgers led the Packers on a drive that would feature the game’s only touchdown. The two-time MVP started the drive with a 47-yard pass to Marquez Valdes-Scantling. The drive ended three plays later with a touchdown pass to Jimmy Graham.

After the touchdown, the Bears and Packers traded off punts on their next nine possessions. Until the Bears coach Matt Nagy elected to go for it on 4th and 10. Nagy chose this over a 50-yard field goal attempt by Pineiro. He chose to go for it despite Pineiro making a 58-yard field goal during a preseason game. The play resulted in Bears quarterback Mitchell Trubisky being forced to evade Packer defenders and fall seven yards short of the first down.

The Packers were able to add on a field goal after a 73-yard drive to push the lead to seven. With time winding down, the Bears responded with a drive that led them down to the 16-yard line. Trubisky overthrew a pass in the endzone intended for Allen Robinson and was intercepted by Adrian Amos of the Packers. Amos played his previous four seasons with the Bears. With 1:33 remaining, the Bears got the ball back. The offense stalled and the game ended with Trubisky being sacked.

The next game for the Bears is September 15th against the Denver Broncos.