By Kaitlynn Wolfgram
Whether you are away for college or just trying to save a few dollars, here are a couple of meals that fit into a tight budget.
1. Baked Potato. Eating a baked potato for dinner is simple and easy. If you’re a college student and don’t have access to a stove, this is the perfect meal. Just pop a potato in the microwave for a few minutes, usually no more than 10 minutes and you have a delicious meal. Add some broccoli, cheese, butter and a little salt for a great taste. A 10-pound bag of potatoes cost around $3.47 and a 14 once bag of frozen broccoli costs around $1.47 at Wal-Mart.
2. Cheese Quesadilla. Skip a trip to Chipotle and save your money! Make a cheese quesadilla in the oven or microwave. An 8-ounce bag of Kraft shredded mild cheddar cheese cost $2.98 and a pack flour tortillas are only $2.48. Get creative and make some rice or make guacamole.
3. Eggs. Eggs are very nutritious and beneficial to our health. They reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, and can even help you loose weight. A dozen eggs at Wal-Mart costs $2.48. Eat the eggs however way you want. Add some of your favorite vegetables like broccoli, spinach, or tomatoes. Have a side of fruit and a piece of toast and you have a nutritious, tasty, and inexpensive meal.
4. Sandwiches. This is a great option for college students. Keep a loaf of bread on hand. Buy a jar of peanut butter and some jelly for a sandwich. If you have access to a stove or toaster make a grilled cheese sandwich. A loaf of bread is roughly $3.00. A 28-ounce jar of peanut butter is $3.98 and a 32-ounce jar of strawberry jam is $2.98 at Wal-Mart. It doesn’t take much effort or money to make a PB&J sandwich, so try to eat a sandwich and save a few dollars.
5. Pasta. Try spaghetti or fettuccine. All you need is a box of pasta ($2.42) and a jar of pasta sauce ($1.98). You can add ground beef or skip the sauce all together. Enjoy parmesan buttered noodles instead. Whatever you choose, add a piece of garlic bread and enjoy your meal.
So before you head out to Chipotle or order take out, try a couple of these inexpensive meals to surely save some money.