Archive

National: Boston regroups after bombings and manhunt


By Donny Kendal

The city of Boston is regrouping after a bombing at a marathon and a manhunt for the suspects
left four dead, including a police officer, and nearly 200 injured last week.

It all began at the annual Boston Marathon on April 15th. Spectators watched as participants
crossed the finish line when two explosions went off nearly simultaneously about 200 yards apart. The
explosions tore through the crowd causing the death of three and leaving many in critical condition. At a
press conference the next morning, Obama said, “Our first thoughts, this morning, are with the victims, 
their families, and the city of Boston.”

The bombs were quickly identified as being homemade devices constructed with mostly
ordinary materials. According to the Boston Globe, investigators determined that the bombs were made
from pressure cookers, filled with nails and ball bearings. The investigators also found remnants of a
backpack found near the blast sight. This led them to believe the bombs were dropped off by suspects
that were carrying bags.

Authorities quickly began collecting and combing through pictures, videos and security cameras
to hopefully identify a suspect. In the days after the attack, the Internet was swarming with amateur
investigators attempting to pinpoint suspicious persons in the pictures. Then on Thursday evening, the
FBI released pictures of two suspects with the hopes that others would recognize and have information
on them.

The Manhunt

According to The Telegraph’s timeline of events, the manhunt for the two suspects began on
Thursday night, hours after the pictures were released. At 10:48 p.m., MIT campus police officer, Sean
Collier, was responding to an incident when he was shot and killed by the suspects.

The suspects stole a vehicle and police began pursuit. The suspects reportedly shot at the
following police cars and also threw explosives. During the chase, at least one officer was injured and
taken to the hospital.

The events of that night reached a climax when the suspects and the police had a shootout
around midnight. The incident took place in Watertown, a suburb of Boston. The suspects, using the
stolen vehicle as cover, traded gunfire with police. One suspect, later identified Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was
wounded during the shootout and pronounced dead at the hospital. The other suspect fled.

As of 4:00 a.m. Friday morning, the second suspect was at large. The police stated the missing
suspect was 19 year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. Boston police commissioner said via Twitter that the
suspect at large is most likely still armed and dangerous.

On Friday, Watertown was on lockdown. ABC News reported that “heavily armed SWAT team
members” began searching homes, door-to-door. Mass-transit was closed while the manhunt continued
throughout the day.

Finally, at 7:50 p.m. on Friday, Boston police tweeted “CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over.”
According to the Associated Press, the manhunt came to an end in a residential backyard. The suspect, 
Dzhokhar, hid inside a tarp-covered boat, wounded and bleeding. Helicopters pinpointed him using
thermal imaging. Police were able to apprehend him after using flash-bang grenades.

When the nightmare came to an end after an entire week, citizens were relieved. Public transit systems reopened, and people were able to come out of their houses. Finally, one of the biggest manhunts in U.S. history has come to an end.